I Can't Explain Something That is Beyond Logic


Photo Credits: www.TimBarosh.com


I watched the Blindside a few nights ago. I've seen it before, but it was very different watching it this time. The first time I saw it, we had not adopted our daughters. Watching the way the Touhy's had to defend their actions to people felt hauntingly familiar.

We shouldn't have to field commentary about race, and lifestyle, and socio-economic status, but we do. We shouldn't have to try to explain what we're doing, or why we're doing it. People say incredibly well-meaning, and yet very hurtful things to us all the time. Sometimes those well-meaning, yet hurtful things must register in my eyes because those are the times that people tend to launch into the "Well, of course I think what you guys are doing is incredible, it's just that _____ (fill in the blank.)"

I find I get really tired of explaining myself, my husband, our family, our thoughts, our hopes, our fears. It's draining if I'm honest. I don't mind telling our story, I just mind trying to help people "understand." Seriously, I don't understand it myself some days. So explaining to someone else is virtually impossible. Sometimes God just calls us to do things, things that are illogical.

Here's the real deal. I'm nothing special. We're nothing special. Yes, we're empty nesters, on the road to retirement, and now we're parenting twin kindergartners. Yes, some days are trying. Some days are hard, (like when one of them cuts her hair at school and then her sister follows suit by cutting up her favorite skirt . . . and then crying about it because it was her favorite skirt! Not even kidding.) But that's the nature of parenting.  All parenting.





Photo Credit: ChipGillespie.com


We aren't a typical family. I get it. We're older, we're a different race, we don't blend. But we aren't an anomaly.  We're a family.

I heard a message in church recently about the love of God and how it defies logic. I believe adoption is such a great picture of love beyond logic.

Love beyond logic. That might catch on.





ADD YOUR THOUGHTS

What's the most illogical love you have shown someone recently?  How did it affect you and how do you think it affected them?

No comments:

Post a Comment

What Color is Family is a delightful blog about transracial adoption. Thanks for joining the conversation!