The Truth of Their Story - Telling Our Girls Their Story

Our First Family Photo
When my boys were little, they used to love hearing the story of the day they were born, coming home from the hospital, etc. I told that story over and over and over, but they never tired of it. (Well, eventually they tired of it because they discovered Nintendo and sports and other things in life more interesting than the story of their birth! But you know what I mean.) 

I digress. 

I have struggled to tell the girls their story, so I have avoided their story. I know it's the wrong choice, I've just really struggled with what I would say. 

THE TRUTH OF THEIR STORY

Their story isn't pretty. 

How they came to us isn't pretty. 

The day they came to our house isn't lovely and filled with sweet sentiments. 

But they deserve a story they'll want to hear over and over and over. So I've been working on it.

THEIR COMING HOME STORY

"When you girls were born, you were teeny tiny. You only weighed two pounds, which is not very big at all. You were so tiny they put you in a very special baby bed that helped you breathe and get healthy.

But you did get healthy. And you got bigger too! 

I will never forget the first day you came home to us. It was nighttime, and when I first saw you both, I couldn't get over how little you were! (I didn't know then that you had been a teeny tiny baby when you were born, but I found that out later and was so glad you were growing and growing. But I was kind of glad you were still little girls.)


On our way home with you girls, Shannay, you sneaked out of your car seat and scared me by touching my shoulder! I had to pull the car over and get you buckled back in. (Parent fail) 

You girls both fell asleep on the way home, so we just put you in bed in the little dresses you were wearing, because we didn't want to wake you up.

It was a very sweet moment for us. Daddy and I both cried as we looked at you lying in your cribs. 





The next morning, we gave you baths, which you weren't too sure you liked. (Don't know how we got a smiling picture out of you Shannay, because you girls barely moved!)




But you LOVED towel time, where we wrapped you in your towels and just let you sit there. 


What fun memories we have of you girls and your towel time!


Then you got to meet your big brothers.  They loved you instantly, just like Daddy and I did.




And we went to the park to celebrate being a family. (That's also when we learned how fast Nikki was at running away!)






God creates families in many different and special ways. We have loved you and thanked God for making us a family ever since the first day we got you."

IT *IS* A GOOD STORY

So, what do you think?  I guess their story is a beautiful story. I'm going to try it out today!

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful for sure! Be ready for the questions that they will come up with though! As much as you think "that covers it" - the questions in their minds will surprise you!
    ~Rosa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, Rosa. This is definitely the toddler version. I know their questions will be cause for "revision." :)

      Delete
  2. It's a beautiful story Carol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They will love it, and will want to hear it over and over! I know that they will have some tough questions, some now, some later, but you will find a way to explain. The love they feel from you and the family will help them understand how special they are in your heart.

    ReplyDelete

What Color is Family is a delightful blog about transracial adoption. Thanks for joining the conversation!