We Can Do Better

It's 2013, in case you didn't know, and I'm here to report that racism is alive and well.

And sadly, I'm shocked by that.  I'm sure I shouldn't be shocked, but I am.

This past weekend, I had the privilege of performing a wedding in the beautiful hill country of Texas, Fredericksburg to be exact. And my story should not be taken to be the pervasive behavior of the entire town.  It was most certainly an isolated experience.

On Saturday morning, Mike and the girls and I slept in and then headed out for a late breakfast.  Considering Fredericksburg is a tourist town, famous for wineries and quaint little bed and breakfasts, we thought we'd find us a cute little local restaurant to enjoy.  Apparently though every OTHER tourist in town had the exact same plan because all the little local restaurants were packed.

Had it been just the two of us, we probably would have just waited, but the girls were hungry and getting grouchy, so we decided to go to a Denny's that I had remembered passing the night before.

When we got there, we were seated right away in the back of the restaurant.  Another couple, without children, were seated at the same time.

Their order was taken right away, and before our order was ever even taken they received their food.  Finally we were waited on, but then we continued to wait for what seemed like an eternity with two hungry and active preschoolers!

Eventually I had to flag down another employee and ask about our meal.  She asked who our waiter was, then rolled her eyes and headed off to check on our food.  Within moments our food arrived, all except for mine, which was completely wrong, and had to be returned.  

Our waiter never returned to our table.  Not once.  A manager, seeing me staring around the dining room, stopped by our table to see what was wrong.  When I explained that I still had not gotten my food and that Mike was still missing part of his food, he asked who our waiter was.  When I pointed out who he was, the manager shook his head, then quickly returned with my food.

It was not until the very end of our breakfast did our waiter return.  No apology.  No "Sorry I never refilled your coffee or checked on your order."  Nope.  Just a bill.

As we left the restaurant, I asked Mike to take the girls to the car so I could discuss our bill and our service with the manager.  There were two women at the cash register, an Assistant Manager and the Cashier.  The Assistant Manager asked who our server was, exchanged a glance with the Cashier, then took my breakfast off our bill and apologized for the inconvenience.

I told the Cashier, "I know this will sound weird, but I seriously got the impression that he didn't want to wait on us because our daughters are black.  I'm sure that's not the case, and I'm not really one to jump to the "race card" but it really, actually felt that way."

She said, "It's not weird, and I'm sure that's exactly what happened. He just got back from suspension for the exact thing.  He has race issues."

I. Was. Shocked.

I held back my tears, really not wanting to believe that crap like that still exists. When I got to the car and told Mike what happened, we both just sat there in stunned silence. I looked in the back seat at my two daughters and couldn't decide whether to cry, go back in and ninja chop the guy in the face, or just drive away.

When I shared my experience with a friend, here's what she said, (I told her I was going to quote her because her words summed up my feelings.) 

"Racism is a waste of time and energy. It also shows a person's heart. "I'm not going to serve someone because they are black." Yeah, way to love your fellow man, and to do that to little girls is just stupid."


In the past few days, I've gone from hurt, to mad, to just plain shocked.  Seriously, people.  We can do better. We can do better.


15 comments:

  1. Carol i am so sorry that happened to you and Mike and most of all my granddaughters. I had stupid remarks made when i just show their pictures which i had by my computer at work. That is what it is a stupid waste if energy. Pray that God will open his eyes and heart and learn to love his neighbor no matter what the race.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh carol. the waiter is the one being held in bondage to his mind set. he missed out on a great opportunity to make two little girls smile, and make silly faces and start his day off with sweet pure joy. i am sorry you and your family went thru that, and it breaks my heart. I pray the girls were too caught up in being away with you and mike to notice any of that. love you all!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy. The girls, of course, were oblivious. And we shook it off pretty quickly, and enjoyed our day in a beautiful city, followed by a fun evening of a wedding and dancing. But as another friend said, some day, our girls won't be obvious. Here's hoping that day never comes.

      Delete
  3. I'm sad for that waiter. I don't think you get "race issues" out of the blue. It stems from a long line of fear and anger. All the friendships he's missed out on, gorgeous girls he could have dated and years of hate that didnt have to happen. You're girls are not the victim of racism. He is. Let me make myself clear- I believe him to be an asshat that needs a swift kick in the pants. I, believe he deserves to have to be responsible or his actions and opinions. I just think that he is the one that has lost so much because of this nasty heart condition he has. Your girls are just fine and growing up in a multi-race family is going to teach them to always keep their head held high either pay no mind to the idiots or even better, reach out to them. Love them anyways. Show the asshats that Jesus loves all of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting perspective for sure. I'm sure you are right. And while I am sure that my daughters will be raised to love others, I cannot help but think that teaching them to to hold their head high and pay no mind to the idiots will be akin to telling them "stick and stones..." Words and actions are hurtful. And people should just freakin' know better.

      Delete
  4. Really, Carol? You're surprised? Do you live in a bubble or a cave? I don't care what year it is, someone will always hate your or hate your daughters for no other reason than for the color of their skin. I'm sorry this happened to you, but you're delusional if you think racism doesn't exist.

    Wake up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When people don't think with racist minds or hearts of course its a shock that others do sometimes do. Unfortunately there are still racist, narrow minded people out there and in many ways they are robbing themselves of so much, but also hurting other people. These are sweet, precious little girls! Despite anyones racial feelings on adults NO one should treat an innocent child that way. Its sad that its not surprising to you. Either way you feel, you should never tear someone else down. I love you aunt Carol and my precious cousins. I'm sorry someone too narrow minded to look past an exterior and treated y'all that way. All my love to the girls.
      Jamie

      Delete
  5. Well my beautiful sister and my very beautiful nieces, sorry that there are still people hiding behind their white capes and hoods. Theres only one difference! They now call themselves anonymous. My name is Dewey langham . Time to get rid of racism. Burn your white robe! Love you sister

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hate to say it, but mixed race families bring out the racists. Many people are ok when people "stay with their own kind", but if people love someone's soul & aren't concerned about skin color, then that's wrong... It's completely sad, but a reality.

    I've got plenty of stories like that... First time we experienced racism in Texas was in our church!

    Thank you so much for sharing your experience and shining the light on the darkness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Rebekah, then that just makes me all the more sadder. (apparently my sadness has affected my grammar.)

      Delete
  7. I'm not just going to blame the waiter, who needs a lot of help. What in the world was the person who seated you thinking putting your family in a table that someone who had just gotten off suspension for "race issues?" What training did they provide for him? How did they seek to ensure that his attitudes wouldn't surface at work again? As boorish as that waiter was, you would have thought the personnel at Denny's who apparently knew of the possibility of his bias and weren't surprised when it happened might have done something to prevent subjecting you to that person. It's easy for the restaurant to blame the waiter, but there seems to be a systemic issue there.

    ReplyDelete

What Color is Family is a delightful blog about transracial adoption. Thanks for joining the conversation!