The Vibrant Color of Family

Our journey to becoming a transracial family is an unusual one.


















We were empty nesters. Our grown children had finally, just recently moved out, leaving us to celebrate our parental independence! 

(This picture is of us, celebrating our parental independence in the mountains of Colorado! Don't we look happy? And younger? And rested?) 

Ah, those were the days. We spent our free time dreaming of ways we would spend our free time. The empty nest years had arrived and retirement was just around the corner. Old enough to have raised two kids and still young enough to have sex in every room of the house enjoy life.

I was out with a group of girlfriends one night, when I ran into a woman I know who helps rescue children from the streets. As I often asked when I ran into her, I said, "So, who are you rescuing tonight?" She said, "Twin, 19-month-old girls. You interested?" I'm sure my laugh was somewhere between incredulous and nervous, but I laughed and said, "No way! I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and it's not a train. It's freedom!" She laughed too, and we went our separate ways.


Fast forward this story 11 days and these little girls were in our home.



To say that they were in rough shape would be a tremendous understatement.  Their hair and skin were literally falling off due to malnutrition, and their emotional state was worse than that.  I won't disclose the many types of abuse they suffered at the hands of family members and caretakers, but just let your mind wander and you will likely encounter the abuse they endured.

But I don't want to focus on the darkness of those days, at least not today, on this inaugural post of What Color is Family. 

You see, God has a plan for each of our lives.  And no matter what we think the written summary of our lives will be, He has a much richer version of the story to tell.


Our family is so much fun to be around!
Someone is always being goofy, and someone is always corralling the girls!

Transracial adoption is our rich story. It is woven together with a vibrancy of color that only our Creator could imagine. I look forward to sharing our journey with you and to hearing your rich stories as well.  There is much to learn and much to be shared with each other. 


Leave me a comment below and tell me about your transracial family.  Better yet, join me on facebook and post a picture of your beautiful family!

Carol


No comments:

Post a Comment

What Color is Family is a delightful blog about transracial adoption. Thanks for joining the conversation!